[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 08:10:32 PST 2001

I suspect the rules were written by people who had no idea that onion,
garlic, sage and thyme are all medicinal for colds and flu. (Yes, that's a
major part of the reason chicken soup works so well!)

They were trying to control Lobelia and Pennyroyal and others like that,
which can be a problem in the hands of anyone who is not an expert. Or are
contraindicated for certain people. And that's a legitimate concern, but
there are surely better ways to address it!

Anne

Faire.
> >       Any herbs and spices used in the entry must be listed in the
> >       documentation with their Latin botanical names and must be in
> >       compliance with the Prohibited and Restricted Herbs list.
> >

> Good. I don't understand why there has to be any kind of restriction
> like this, at all. If the concern is safety, then perhaps clearly
> worded warnings would be sufficent.

*********
 Are the items open to being