[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1037 - 14 msgs

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 10:09:58 PST 2001

Gwynydd of Culloden wrote:

> > From: Stefan
>
> > Agreed. The pickled beets were the main thing I was referring to in
> > my statement.
>
> Phillistine!  Beetroot belongs on burgers like ... well, like vanilla
> belongs in icecream.

According to Food Network, at least one candy company still uses powdered red
beets for the red part of the candy cane.  Period solutions are sometimes the
best!

> > The fried egg sounds intriguing,
>
> I am having real trouble comprehending how it could be a hamburger with the
> lot without fried egg (and beetroot).

Fried egg on burger is not unknown in the USA.  It's seen more in the Mom'n'Pop
burger stands than at major chains.  My favorite chain, Fatburger, still has the
fried egg as an option, like it did when it was just the one stand on La Cienega
Boulevard that was open all night... doze were da dayz.

Selene, Caid, who is much too young to know these things.