[Sca-cooks] Re: Bubba A

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Dec 3 11:46:14 PST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> >You don't have to be a redneck to be called Bubba.  I was born in NYC too,
> >and  I got called Bubba for a while after a fan spin-off of Jeff Foxworthy's
> >famous routine started going around:  "If your starship captain refers to his
> >first officer as "Bubba", he just may be a redneck."  I was the VP of our
> >local Star Trek club at the time.  'Nuff Said.
>
> . . . back when I was being fully heraldic, I was leafing through a Big Muckin'
> Book on Anglo-Saxon names, and at one page came to a full stop in shock.
> Turns out, Bubba was in the book; it dates back to something like 900AD. . .
> There was a court baron in the Middle, a few years ago; you got it. He's
> Baron Bubba.

Ok, had to tell the story. Several reigns ago, here in Northshield, the
Prince gave an AoA to a gentle (whom we shall call "Brad", as that's his
name) who had been in the SCA for 7 years and still didn't have a
name. "Brad" was granted his AoA on the provision that he attend an event
two weeks hence, with his name submission paperwork, or a name would be
chosen for him by the populace. He duly arrived at the event, but in the
flurry of preparations to leave, had forgotten his paperwork. The Prince
declared that he must then submit to the will of the populace, and,
conveniently, offered for our approval three different names selected by
the Principality herald that were researched, period, and would pass
Laurel. The names were: Jesus Ximenez, Phyllis [something or other], and
Bubba ap Elvis. The populace voted "Brad" a new name. The signet quickly
filled in the AoA scroll. "Brad" is now Lord Bubba ap Elvis. And, he's
kept it.

OB food content: do not eat pumpkin pie right after you've been sucking on
Sen-Sen. Yuck!

Margaret FitzWilliam