[Sca-cooks] vanilla beans

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Dec 3 12:32:49 PST 2001

Magdalena da Cadamosto said:
> Annan wrote:
> >You could make a few slits in a bean then put it in your sugar
> >canister, or place it in a bottle of vodka.
>
> If the bean is fresh, it works without the slits as well.  I have vanilla
> sugar, lavender sugar, mint sugar, lemon sugar, calendula sugar, and many
> many more hanging out in the cupboard.  Lemon and lavender sugar cookies.
> Mmmmm...

What do you mean by "fresh"? Mine came from the Pepperer's Guild at
this last Pennsic and have been in a glass jar since then. But they
came sort of shrivelled up and wrinkled. Slits are easy enough to
make anyway.

Would this flavoring technique work on Splenda? That's a lot of sugar
for me to consume but it sounds like it could be good. And from my
experience with "snow" and a few mint leaves, I suspect that
mint would easily flavor granulated sugar.

Stefan