[Sca-cooks] any spanish speakers?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Dec 3 13:19:05 PST 2001

Diana Haven wrote:

> > Anybody know how to say
> > may I put you on hold while I get a translator?

> I could really use that phrase too - we had a
> telemarketing call while I was cooking dinner last
> night.  Of course, the lady was speaking spanish - and
> I can't remember much of that language.  I just said
> "no hablo espanol" and went back to my turkey soup and
> baconw/cheese sandwich :-)

I must confess that's what the answering machines are for- telemarketers
almost always hang up when they get a machine (except for the occasional
computer driven one that tries to talk right over your announcement- or
the overly perky person who imagines I will return their call for
insurance/carpet cleaning/windshield/the 'free' vacation...) and I get
anywhere from 15-25 calls a day that show up on the call ID as
'Unavailable'. Not worth my time to get up from what I'm doing. Anyone
real (friends, foes, family) knows to talk to the machine and I will
pick up if I'm home.

I did however have occasion once to call a customer service number in
Texas, for a certain large ugly oil company which I will not name but
their initials are Texaco Oil, and got two different CS people- one with
a Hispanic accent so think I could only think of Speedly Gonsalez
(sorry, true!) and another with a Suuuthurn Draaaawlll (TM) that was so
infectious that not only could I not understand what she was saying, but
I couldn't understand what I was saying back to her! I think I proposed
marriage but I'm not sure...

'Lainie