[Sca-cooks] Re: Gastronomica--was mock turtles

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 3 14:08:06 PST 2001

Gastronomica. The Journal of Food and Culture
 is the new University of California full-sized
four times a year ultra-foodie magazine/journal.
$36.00 for 4 issues...began in Feb. 2001.

http://www.gastronomica.org/ is the website.

The article I cited goes
back to Hannah Glasse in 1751 but leaves out
earlier associations. It does talk about "mock
turtle soup" and about the near extinction of the
green sea turtles.

The same issue has a wonderful article on
Eat Your Words: Seventeenth Century Edible
 Letterforms by Gillian Riley which has
gorgeous color illustrations that take up two
pages at a time.

All in all if you like food history and you collect
materials in this area, then it might be of interest
to you. It's hard to say if the libraries around the
country are going to subscribe, which means actually
seeing a copy may be hard. I also don't know if they
are going to keep the back issues in print which is one
of the great things about PPC in England.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis