[Sca-cooks] Re: Midrealm Cooks' Collegium

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 3 15:08:56 PST 2001

I  wrote about some of the foods at the feast that night and
mentioned:
>> canishones

Stefan asked:
>What are these?

I've probably typed the name wrong.  They were a rolled dessert-y
item filled with ??  It looked sort of like a soft wafer and flopped
when it was picked up.  I had expected it to be stiff-ish.  I don't
think the person listed the name as "canelones" or a variant
thereof.

I also salivated over:
> and wow! a fresh cheese coated in a flavored sugar syrup,

Stefan queried:
>Interesting. Sounds like a rather unusual combination. What kind
>of cheese was this done with? A recently made cream? or farmers
>type cheese?

It was cut in small cubes but did not have the consistency of cream
cheese.  It was more like a compacted ricotta.  I wish I knew who
had made it so I could have gotten a recipe.

>A rather mild cheese so that it didn't conflict with
>the sugar syrup, I guess.

Correct.

>Did this form a hard shell? Or did it mostly just soak into the
cheese? Or was it more like a coating of
>sugarpaste? Do we have any evidence of this treatment for cheese
being period?

It didn't form a shell but the sugary liquid in which it sat clung
to it a little.  No, it wasn't like a coating of sugarpaste,
although I understand from Abbot Johann von Metten that he has a
recipe for a cheese that _is_ covered in sugarpaste.  I believe he's
on this list and I've been wanting to get that recipe!  IIRC, it is
period.  I would also suspect that the one at the event is period
since that's what most of us brought.

Alys Katharine