[Sca-cooks] Re: Court News from Lochac

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 4 06:42:11 PST 2001

Morgan Cain wrote:

> Adamantius said:
>

>>On the other hand, Anne, the place where you, and I, and Andrea, and
>>
> Devra,
>
>> and various others from this list live, is a Crown Province, something of
>>an anomaly by SCA-group standards. We function as a barony, but have no
>>baron. (All provinces, in SCA parlance, are like this.) Instead we have a
>>
> Vice-
>
>>roy and Vicereine, which makes us one of, what, only three or so groups to
>>be so organized.
>>

> I would note that unless things have changed in the last three or four years
> (since I moved to Ansteorra from the Midrealm), the Crown Province of
> Tree-Girt-Sea in the Midrealm did NOT have a Viceroy or Vicereine.  It is
> basically a shire with a fancy title.

Umm, that may be, but not in the East, AFAIK. When a shire well exceeds the population and officer corps requirements for shire status, there tends to be a drive to "go barony", or if for some reason they don't want a titular figurehead, they can become a province, which ordinarily has no landed figurehead. I dunno, they may have a reeve or something instead of, or in addition to, simply a seneschal. This also may simply be a nomenclature issue. The East has at least one province I can think of offhand (Malagentia, no?), in addition to Ostgardr, which is different from the ordinary model of a province. I prefer to think of provinces as supershires, and a Crown Province as a superbarony, in spite of non-armigerous awards. Ostgardr is probably now larger than some kingdoms, and that is after giving up territory several years ago to keep from crossing a state line. Be that as it may, I don't know if things are simply different in the Midrealm than in the East in this regard, or
if you're confusing a province with a crown province. Presumably the former.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com