[Sca-cooks] RE: Crown Province Differences (WAS: Court News from Lochac)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 4 08:25:32 PST 2001

morgancain at earthlink.net wrote:

> Yep, as I said.  When I lived in the Midrealm, it was definitely called the Crown Province - so named because many years ago (as in, when Cariadoc was King), all of the Royalty of the Midrealm seemed to come from there.  For what, the first three or four or several reigns, Your Grace?

Hmmm. There may be an emergent pattern developing here. Once upon a time, in the distant, primordial past, there was evidently a law on the books in the East Kingdom stating that the Crown must reside within 50 miles of New York City (I would have no problem with a reinstatement of this, BTW, but perhaps I'm biased -- although at the moment there are those who feel all our crowns should live in Rhode Island). It may be that HG Cariadoc, or someone from around the time Cariadoc ruled in the East, made such a law, which makes sense if your kingdom is centered around one group, and at the time there were essentially no other groups in the East, so it was designed to make it impossible for somebody to take the Crown and claim distance as an excuse for avoiding their responsibilities. It may be that the Crown Province of Ostgardr was set up because Crown Tourney entrants were expected to live in or near New York. Our earliest monarchs certainly did. The concept of being Crown land
 and the manner in which the Viceroy is in fealty may have come later.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com