[SCA-Cooks] Court News from Lochac

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 5 06:09:44 PST 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> I thought that in Atlantia you had (or was preferred to) have your name submitted to get an AoA. Atleast soemone told me that. Maybe some new rule.

Atlantia being, to some extent, Eastern Rite (in other words, as a
former principality of the East), it has a lot of traditions in common
with the East. Now, I don't know for sure, but at least in theory, an
AoA is in the gift of the Crown. Anybody they want to award arms to,
they can award arms to, for whatever reason, no questions asked. I
assume that includes doing so whether the person's name has been
submitted. Sometimes, in fact, AoA's are given more or less on the spur
of the moment, and the Crown couldn't possibly check on the status of a
person's name or device. In the East, you'll sometimes get a scroll with
a blank spot for your arms to be included, if it hasn't passed or the
scribe doesn't know what it is. I'd be very surprised to hear that
submission of a name is a requirement.

> OB Food Stuff-Does anyone have any favorite, period potluck dishes? How rare(or common) were casserole type dishes suitable for a potluck?

There appear to be some Islamic (and possibly Jewish) casserole-type
dishes, but comparatively few in Christian Europe for some reason.
Unfortunately most of the surviving European recipe sources are for the
relatively wealthy/noble/royal types, and there seems to have been
little in the way of potluck suppers among them.

Interesting, though, that there's a fairish number of pieces of
anecdotal evidence, some of which may be hogwash, about various types of
necessity-driven, communal eating in period. Two that occur to me
offhand include the apocryphal story of the Viking raid on Caen, in the
north of France, and the odds and ends of leftover food (and, perhaps,
non-food) that went into the first pot of Tripes a la mode de Caen, and
  the accounts I've seen of the alleged origins of cheese fondue,
concerning, IIRC, two armies involved in peace talks, with one side
having only some cheese, and the other with bread and wine/beer, or some
such.

Most of these culinary anecdotes seem to be either patently untrue,
though, or vastly distorted.

Maybe we'll discover the missing manuscript of the 1547 classic, Syr
Jerome Hogsheade's "De Gluten Luteranis, Or, The Lutheran Bynder, For
All Ladies And Gentle Women Who Wouldst Takke Potte Lucke, Including
(y)e Casseroles and All Typpes Of Jellies & Sallets That Sheweth (y)e
Miniaturre Marsh-Mallowes Wythinne".

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy