misconceptions about places was [Sca-cooks] Stefan

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Wed Dec 5 22:15:11 PST 2001

rnewmyer <rnewmyer at epix.net> [2001.12.05] wrote:
> I have seen some beautiful long slate knives. The secret is that you don't
> knap it so much as grind and sand it.

I know this now (and have made som pieces as well), but at that age I
did not have much clue about how to do that. Knapping it dit not work,
great surprise.

> In some ways similar to how a celt is
> made. If you were able to knap granite, you have impressed me mightily!

No, not really. What I was able to produce -- and still do when needed
-- is "Olduvadi Gorge" stuff: crack a rock into pieces and use any that
has a suitable sharp edge. Usefull "skill" to have, in particular if you
are playing the "start with two empty hands, produce X" game.

The part of Scandinavia where I live and grew up does not have any
trully knappable rock. South of here there is flint, which was exported
northwards. North of here people knapped quartz.

UlfR

UlfR                                                 parlei at algonet.se
Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to try to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the
people I had to kill because they pissed me off.