[Sca-cooks] armored turnip recipes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 5 23:47:49 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> In particular, check the directions and suggestions from various
> people about reducing the bitter turnip taste. So far, none have
> done that whose armored turnips I've tasted. Atlhough it is also
> possible that I just don't like turnips.

Stefan, it is my experience that parboiling them seems to help cut the
bitterness. But the old woody ones will be icky no matter what.

Or it could be your taste- our local Baron (the landed one, not one of
the landless;-)) absolutely LOATHES turnips, rutabega, parsnips, adn
there's one more but I forget. I would bet there's something in them
that he's sensitive to- instant nausea. Of course, this makes for
endless gag gifts...

'Lainie