[Sca-cooks] Chocolate truffles (OOP)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 09:48:38 PST 2001

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:

> Back on Valentine's day, I had the most amazing chocolate truffles.
> They were habanero flavored.  They were served as part of a goodie
> platter for dessert at an awesome Mexican restaurant.  (The woman who
> owns this place actually travels to Mexico to buy the chocolate for mole
> and for treats like this...)  Anyway, I wanted to try to recreate them
> for Christmas Eve.  Can anybody give me any idea how much pepper to add
> to a batch?  Would it be something like 1/2 a pepper to a pound of
> chocolate?  More?  Less?  They weren't *hot* per se, they were extremely
> rich with a bit of an edge to them initially and then mellowed to a nice
> tingly warmness in your mouth.  Kind of like jalapeno-strawberry jelly.

I think I would not just throw peppers into the mix, but simmer the peppers
inside of the butter or other fat-based ingredient, strain out the pepper
solids and continue the recipe.  Rather like the Alice B. Toklas recipe for
brownies, with a different fat-soluble "active" ingredient here.  Your
suggestion of half a pepper per pound of chocolate sounds OK by me, I'm a
pepper wimp.

> Anybody have truffle recipes to share, since I'm on this kick?  :)  I'm
> also going to try hazelnut and coffee flavored ones.  I've only made
> plain ones in the past.

I do but it's at home, I'm at work.  No cream, all butter, way decadent.

Selene, Caid