[Sca-cooks] Re: Names, was misconceptions about places

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 6 11:57:40 PST 2001

Anne replied to me with:
> In your previous post, you suggested that people get personal names
> quickly. Well, Anne is my mundane name, but it is perfectly period, and I
> rather like it, and so I may stick with it.

I believe this is correct, although might also want to check the
different variations of it that were used. For instance, my middle
name mundanely is Stephen so that was one reason I picked Stefan for
a persona name. My lady wife picked Alina since that was a predecessor
for Alice, her regular name.

> I have had it suggested to me that a last name might be a Good Idea... I'm
> not entirely sure I want to use Anne the Strange in those contexts,
> however... I mean, I don't mind, here, where you know what I mean! Rather
> like you, I turned into Anne of Ostgardr a few weeks ago. Don't think it
> much matters, though.
>
> One of these days, I'll figure out who I am...

Is there a particular time period or culture you are interested in?
This might point you to a particular name or type of name. If you
aren't sure of a particular time or culture, you might enjoy looking
through some of the files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium.
While certainly not a comprehensive set of all (or even most)
medieval cultures, it might give you an idea of which ones to check
further. Or perhaps even more important, which cultures you are
interested in or don't want to be associated with.

There are also various name resources given in the PERSONA section
including a very good heraldic name site, called Saint Gabriel
(I think) put together by some of the SCA heralds.

Stefan