[Sca-cooks] Chocolate truffles (OOP)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Dec 6 15:29:48 PST 2001

Magdalena said:
> Back on Valentine's day, I had the most amazing chocolate truffles.
> They were habanero flavored.  ...  Would it be something like 1/2
> a pepper to a pound of
> chocolate?  More?  Less?  They weren't *hot* per se, they were extremely
> rich with a bit of an edge to them initially and then mellowed to a nice
> tingly warmness in your mouth.  Kind of like jalapeno-strawberry jelly.

Habaneros are pretty hot peppers. I would think it might well be less
than 1/2 a pepper to a pound of chocolate.

> Anybody have truffle recipes to share, since I'm on this kick?  :)  I'm
> also going to try hazelnut and coffee flavored ones.  I've only made
> plain ones in the past.

Okay, time for a "Stefan" type question(s).

These sound like they are a type of chocolate candy. What makes these
a truffle and not some other kind of chocolate candy? The specific
ingredients used? The shape?

And I thought "truffles" were the mushroom things found on tree roots,
often hunted for with pigs. Am I wrong and those are called something
else? Is the chocolate one derived from the mushroom one?

Thanks,
  Stefan