[Sca-cooks] Artichoke Pie

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 6 18:17:35 PST 2001

Nutmeg is the seed.  Mace is a covering that wrops the nutmeg.  Both are
inside of a pod or fruit.  Blade or whole mace are the inner covering
removed from the nutmeg and dried.  I used ground mace because I had no
blade mace.

>The recipe says "a little Mace Whole". What is meant by "Whole" in
>this? It's probably not the whole nut since the outside is nutmeg
>and the inside is mace, right? Is "whole" just being ignored in
>this redaction?

Nutmeg is the seed.  Mace is a covering that wrops the nutmeg.  Both are
inside of a pod or fruit.  Blade or whole mace are the inner covering
removed from the nutmeg and dried.  I used ground mace because I had no
blade mace.

>And are "Raisons of the Sun" actually just rasins? Why the "of the
>Sun"? Were grapes also dried in ovens? Or were there other fruits
>than the grape that when dried were called "raisins"?
>
>Thanks,
>  Stefan

Modernly the term raisin means a dried grape, but it derives from the Latin
"racemus" meaning "bunch of grapes."  In Middle English or Old French the
term appears to have been used to describe grapes, while "raisin of the sun"
is "dried grape."  I haven't chased the derivation fully so take that
commentary with a grain of salt.

Bear