[Sca-cooks] Chocolate truffles (OOP)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:08:43 PST 2001

Stefan wrote:

> > Okay, time for a "Stefan" type question(s).
> >
> > These sound like they are a type of chocolate candy. What makes these
> > a truffle and not some other kind of chocolate candy? The specific
> > ingredients used? The shape?
> >
> > And I thought "truffles" were the mushroom things found on tree roots,
> > often hunted for with pigs. Am I wrong and those are called something
> > else? Is the chocolate one derived from the mushroom one?
>
>Exactly.  God created the truffle fungus, man emulated the fragrant fungus
>by
>making chocolate delicacies in its image, brown, globular and delicious.
>The
>simplest of subtleties, if you will.
>
>A truffle truffle?  Not this side of Iron Chef.
>
>Selene, Caid

When I have made truffles in the past I do the same thing I do with french
fries or chips; I mix up different flavors.  I make light chocolate, dark
chocolate, the white stuff (sometimes I colour it), semi-sweet with
un-sweetened cocoa powder on it, some have liquor, some fruit zest, some
ginger, some rolled in crushed nuts,  and yes, some marzipan look-alikes.

Olwen who is thinking about that 15 pound block of white (not) chocolate in
the cupboard next to the 12 pounds of bittersweet.  Where's the time...