[Sca-cooks] Coloring bread...

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Fri Dec 7 11:12:56 PST 2001

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:59:21 -0800 you wrote:
Artemisia said:
> I thought it would be a cute idea (evile plans of mice and arte, it seems)
> if when I make my bread for Yule, that I color it possibly green/red/blue or
> any combination there of.  Spoke to someone who told me not to use food
> coloring for said project because the coloring would probably turn lighter
> (like olive green instead of the bright green I was hoping for).

I'd probably start with the food coloring anyway, to see what happens.

> So, anyone have suggestions on what to use to dye the bread different
> colors?  Read a recipe for some red pears using red sandalwood for the
> coloring...is using this a possibility?  Anything else?  My friend suggested
> maybe using dill as a colorant, but it isn't exactly the effect (and our
> baroness is allergic to just about anything, so I'm afraid to use dill).

I'd think you'd have to color the water, because dill added to the bread only
puts green flecks in, it doesn't color the bread evenly. What about adding food
coloring to an egg wash, and brushing it onto the bread near the end of baking.
I've had good results with this painting sugar cookies.

> Also this same bread, I was going to use the machet recipe...and possibly do
> salt crusted since its an accompaniment to Pate which isn't very salty (I
> don't want to overload it with salt).  Saltines tastes very yummy with the
> first try, but I don't want to serve it with crackers...ANYHOW, to do salt
> encrusted with bread, just make bread and spread salt across the top just
> before you bake it (it's an uncooked loaf by that time), right?

I'd give it an egg wash to help stick the salt on.  Otherwise, the crust dries
out and the salt (or poppy seeds or sesame seeds) fall off.

Liadan