[Sca-cooks] Recording of recipes.

Fri Dec 7 14:13:33 PST 2001

The oldest known recipe is Sumerian and is pressed into a clay tablet.
Prior to the printing press, recipe books were handwritten on parchment or
vellum.  Manuscript cookbooks occur long after printing became common and
are still kept to day, usually filled with clippings from newspaper and
magazines and handwritten recipes.

Scottish Gaelic was introduced into Scotland during the Hibernian incursions
of the 1st Century BCE.  It was in common use until the later Middle Ages
when relations with England made English the country's second language.
English has been the primary language of the country since the 17th Century
although Gaelic is still spoken by 1 to 2 percent of the population.

Gaelic was more commonly spoken than written, so examples are hard to come
by.  IIRC, there are some ancient law books written in Gaelic.  With the
arrival of the Celtic Church in the 4th and 5th Centuries, most texts began
being written in Latin.

Bear