[Sca-cooks] dolmas

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Dec 7 21:59:25 PST 2001

I've used a vegetarian recipe for _dolmati_ for years, which is very
good, although not the same as the ones at our local
middle-eastern/meditteranean restaurant.  My  stuffing's made from a
_finely_ chopped onion, sauteed in some olive oil, throw in some
uncooked rice and cook for a bit (like a pilaf, I guess), then you add
some salt, pepper, couple tablespoons of currants and toasted pine nuts,
and some water (can't remember how much).  The filling is brought to a
boil, then covered and allowed to simmer until the rice is _almost_
done.  After it's cooled enough to handle, I put about one-half
tablespoon in each grape leaf, roll 'em up, and stack them, seam-side
down, in one of my pots that has the mutant grape leaves from the jar
lining the bottom as "insulation."  Over the top of this is drizzled
some more olive oil, a little water, and a bit of fresh lemon juice.  A
lid goes on the whole thing, and they're steamed over low heat until
tender.  Good hot or cold....hmmm, I actually think I may have all of
the ingredients in the cupboard....hmmmm....<g>
--Maire