[Sca-cooks] kitchen scales

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Sat Dec 8 09:21:10 PST 2001

>> I'd
>> look for one that is not digital.  I trust the accuracy of the
>> old-fashioned dial ones more, and tareing them is very easy.
>
> Intersting point.  Personally, I trust the digital ones better, but mainly
> because all the "old fashioned" ones I worked with in kitchens tended to be
> really mis-handled adn thrown completely out of whack.  A note on scale
> handling:  Handle them by the BODY, not by the part that goes up and down
> (forget the name).  Otherwise you could really screw the springs.

That is a good point - it is, well, not easy, but not too difficult to
screw up an analog scale.  I've used digital scales in a laboratory,
where they were extremely accurate;  But, what are the chances of
finding one of that quality anywhere outside of a laboratory supply
catalog, and goodness knows what that would cost?  My other experience
has been with bathroom scales, where every darned digital scale I've
used has been very woefully inaccurate.  It was the bathrom scale
experience that turned me off of "consumer grade" digital scales.

-Magdalena