[Sca-cooks] OOP GREEK SPICING

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Dec 9 11:39:42 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> --
> Hello List,
> Yesterday David took me to lunch at a lovely Greek restaurant.
> I had suvlaki and the spicing was wonderful!  I am trying to recreate it and
> so far all I've come up with is:
> Oregano
> mint
> salt
> pepper
> lemon zest
> garlic
>
> I've found this Greek combination on the *About* search enginge:
> Greek Seasoning Blend
> Use this versatile blend on meats, poultry, vegetables and in sauces.
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
> 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon cornstarch
> 1 teaspoon pepper
> 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
> 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> Blend ingredients thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.
>

> Does anyone know what would be included in Greek spicing?

Well, obviously, you would use different spices for different items, but this seems pretty representative overall. Glancing through a Greek cookbook, it seems as if garlic is slightly less omnipresent than you might think, Mediterranean basin notwithstanding. I would call onion, preferably fresh, along with [sometimes] garlic, lemon, oregano (big time, also marjoram, but probably either/or, rather than both), black pepper, maybe nutmmeg, but most especially cinnamon. Oh, and frequently, chopped dill. There's a fairly common dish of peas in a light tomato sauce, and it took me years to figure out that what was missing from my attempts was cinnamon and dill. Lemon, olive oil and/or butter, of course. For souvlaki, I would definitely go with lemon juice and zest, pepper, oregano, mint, and olive oil for a start.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com