[Sca-cooks] OOP GREEK SPICING

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Dec 9 12:23:18 PST 2001

Hi, Phillipa.  I'm certainly no expert on greek food, so I dug around in
my 2 (small) Greek cookbooks, and looked for spice combinations.  You
seem to have pretty much covered the basics....you could add thyme and
parsley to your list, too....
The best-sounding of my souvlaki recipes includes: onion, olive oil,
lemon juice, red whine, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, and
bay leaves (in addition to the meat).  There's a "Lamb, Bandit Style"
recipe that includes lamb, onion, olive oil, scallions, oregano, fresh
fennel, dill, parsley, salt and pepper, and white wine.... A chicken pot
roast recipe has lemon, cloves, cinnamon, olive oil, salt, pepper,
butter, and tomato paste.  Oh, and parsley.... Oh, yum.....here's a
"Shrimp with Feta" recipe that has olive oil, onions, tomatoes, white
wine, parsley, celery, bay leaf, cumin, salt&pepper, shrimp, garlic, and
feta cheese....recommends a garnish of fresh parsley or basil. [oh, man,
now I'm hungry.....;-)]
The basic (common) flavorings seem to be onion, garlic, salt, pepper,
oregano, parsley, and olive oil, with very frequent additions of lemon
juice or wine.  Pastries and breads use more of the sweet flavors
--cinnamon, cardamom, anise, honey, lemon, orange, clove, coriander,
allspice. [darn, now I'm really, REALLY hungry.....]
--Maire