[Sca-cooks] OOP GREEK SPICING

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Dec 9 13:30:40 PST 2001

I don't think there's any single "formula" for greek seasoning, anymore
than there'd be one for "medieval seasoning," or "chinese seasoning," or
french, or whatever.  Some of the recipes I saw had mint in them, and
I've put mint in things like tsaziki sauce (yummers <g>).  Also, my two
greek cookbooks are fairly small, so they might not be very
representative. Oh, I just went and checked my coypy of _The Frugal
Gourmet Cooks 3 Ancient Cuisines_ (forgot I had it), and he lists mint
as a common herb/spice in Greek food, along with allspice, caraway,
cinnamon, cloves, dillweed, garlic, "mahleb" [some sort of small seed
that is used, ground fresh, in Greek breads], oregano, parsley, and
black pepper.  So there's another list <g>
--Maire