[Sca-cooks] OOP GREEK SPICING

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Dec 9 22:05:31 PST 2001

At 02:46 PM 12/9/2001, you wrote:
>--
>Thanks for looking!
>I was hoping / assuming that mint was somehow part of the spice equation.
>Somehow I think of mint as Greek.
>I was hoping that someone had a tried and true formula.

Well...  I was born in Greece (though I left there 12 days after birth).  I
also lived there for a year when I was 7.  We were on a small island off
the West coast, in the Peloponesos.  The island was Elaphonissos, and there
are plenty of nice stories about it.  In any case,  souvlaki...

Every week, on a given day, the local butcher shop would sell souvlaki,
which is not to say souvlaki me pita.  The first is just the meat cubes on
a stick, grilled, the other is the meat in a bit of pita with veggies and
sauce.  They would be made of goat meat, marinated in lemon juice, olive
oil, thyme, oregano and a bit of garlic.  They cook them on a small
charcoal "hibachi".  Then they'd dip a slice of big bread in the marinade
juice, and grill it a bit on the charcoal.  Yummmm.

So, really simple, don't throw in too many things in there, you'll confuse
tastes.

This brings back memories, walking through fields of thyme or
oregano.  Drinking olive oil by the glass, as it was nice and sweet like
fruit juice.

Ok, I'm hungry now!

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire