[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Salamander - History?]

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Dec 9 16:37:08 PST 2001

OED takes it back to Hannah---

d. Cookery. A circular iron plate which is heated
 and placed over a pudding or other dish to brown it.
1755 H. Glasse Art of Cookery (ed. 5) 331 Put it in
 the Oven to brown, or do it with a Salamander.

Middle English Dictionary fails to list it.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

I own one. It came from Williams-Sonoma. My son
was seriously into creme brulee for a while.