[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Salamander - History?]

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Dec 9 22:09:56 PST 2001

At 06:37 PM 12/9/2001, you wrote:
>OED takes it back to Hannah---
>
>d. Cookery. A circular iron plate which is heated
>  and placed over a pudding or other dish to brown it.
>1755 H. Glasse Art of Cookery (ed. 5) 331 Put it in
>  the Oven to brown, or do it with a Salamander.

Interesting.  In the professional kitchens we only called those the "creme
brulee iron". :-)

A salamander in the kitchen is basically a stand alone broiller.  Used a
lot to flash heat a plate before serving, to brown cheese or other
elements, to cook really thin slices of fish/meat, to make toasts, etc...

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka