[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Salamander - History?]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 10 03:29:06 PST 2001

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> Interesting.  In the professional kitchens we only called those the "creme
> brulee iron". :-)
>
> A salamander in the kitchen is basically a stand alone broiller.  Used a
> lot to flash heat a plate before serving, to brown cheese or other
> elements, to cook really thin slices of fish/meat, to make toasts, etc...

In the States there is (or was) an exceptionally inane dog food commercial on television which featured the image of a hot branding iron being lowered onto the surface of an open can of dog food. That's what I always think of when I think of the old-style salamanders. New ones are as you describe, although I might add that every salamander I've ever seen has had no door, which _some_ broilers do. Salamanders also seem to tend to be mounted on the wall at more or less eye level. The older-style, hot-iron salamanders are on the shelf next to the compost. ;-)

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com