[Sca-cooks] pecan tarts

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Dec 9 21:58:34 PST 2001

I had something similar this weekend--a pumpkin/pecan tart.  The
caramely-pecany layer on the bottom was called a praline, or something
similar, although it was clearly thick and sticky goo, rather than the
texture of a praline candy--similar, but not quite the same as one gets
with regular pecan pie. I just went and looked for my copy of Joy of
Cooking, and it's got two recipes for pralines. The first has butter,
cream, brown sugar, nuts, and vanilla.  Neither have eggs, so I surmise
the cooking is what thickens it. Perhaps if you played around, and
combined something like that with corn syrup, or different cooking
temps, you'd get something closer to your pie filling?
--Maire