[Sca-cooks] pecan tarts

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sun Dec 9 19:06:06 PST 2001

I have a bit of a dilemma--due to a cleaning woman of less than stellar
moral character, my grandfather's recipe book, the one with all the
recipes from the bakery, is gone. Including the recipe for pecan tarts,
which are one of my most favorite baked goods in the whole wide
world.

Now that I have the pan that was used to make them (a very heavy aluminum
thing, like a muffin pan but fluted and shallower than the usual muffin) I
can actually make them. But, I have no recipe.

I can't find a recipe online that sounds like what I remember--I only made
them once, unfortunately. They are a rich tart crust, made with butter,
and then  filled with something not entirely unlike the goo inside pecan
pies in taste, but more like cold caramel (ie, thick and sticky) than the
usual pecan pie innards. I remember using corn syrup, and crushed or
chopped pecans, but it's been a long time.

I don't remember using eggs in the filling. The filling is cooked first,
then the tart shells are filled and baked (with a whole pecan half on
top).

If anybody has any useful input, I would be eternally grateful.

Margaret, who can find the rosettes recipe just fine