[Sca-cooks] black nougat

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:40:20 PST 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings:

I did some searching on nougats and candies
and found modern/traditional recipes for
nougats that do not require beating the egg whites
until stiff. One recipe--Nougat blanc requires that one
combine honey, sugar and unbeaten egg whites and
cook over low heat until it thickens. One adds
flavouring and nuts and turns the mixture out to harden.
see: http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/18_1.htm

Perhaps the recipe in question is an early version of this.
The egg white may not have to do with clarifying at all.

Johnna Holloway

Vincent Cuenca wrote:
> One of the recipes in "Llibre de Totes Maneres de Confits" is for a hazelnut
> nougat.  Basically, you take equal weights of hazelnuts and honey.  Add an
> egg white to the honey, then cook over low heat. snippped
 This looks a lot like Provencal black nougat, except for the egg
white.So
> what role is the egg white playing in the recipe?  snipped Any ideas?> Vicente
Later he wrote:One pound of honey, one pound of hazelnuts, one egg
white.  The
original text is good about referring back and forth on processes
("prepare the
syrup in the same way as for citrons"). When it describes clarifying it
states to
beat a few egg whites with the shells until foamy and add them to the
syrup.
I guess I'll just give this a try and see what happens.