[Sca-cooks] Feast costs, was: Master A's Feast; my 2 cents

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 10 18:54:14 PST 2001

In the case of a "known" cook, the autocrat, an officer or the Baronage is
liable to request a bid be made when something special is desired, otherwise
it's open bid.

Rather than a menu and a per-head cost, I provide a menu, a preliminary
detailed budget, a person limit based on my knowledge of the site, an
estimated cost-per-person, a maximum cost-per-person, and pricing
information with detailed analysis of break-even and possible profit and
loss.  I make my recommendations (which are usually accepted), but I leave
it to the finance committee to decide the price.  They usually feel better
if they have some kind of say.

I always plan for a profit and I hedge potential losses.   So far, I haven't
lost any of the Barony's money and I usually make 10 to 15 percent ROI
(mostly from judicious buying) while providing full value for the price.

There was one very embarassing year when everything the Barony did turned to
gold.  The feast I did that year made 50 percent ROI (about $300).  We
cleared about $2,500 for the year, just on events.  We used those profits to
finance one of the following year's events and make it free of charge.
People usually don't begrudge a profit, even a healthy profit, if they
believe they got full value for their money and everyone was treated
equally, and they seemed to appreciate our answer to the problem of excess
monies.

Profit is a group's hedge against failures and cost overruns.  Having helped
shepherd an incipient shire through its first events with a $25 treasury, I
have a health respect for setting the prices to cover expenses and possible
losses while making the fees affordable and in keeping with the general wage
level of the Kingdom.

Bear