[Sca-cooks] period traditions

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Mon Dec 10 19:24:18 PST 2001

Actually Alban you are in error.  Droit de seigneur is mentioned in the
Book of Esther-the story read on the Jewish Holiday of Purim.  I am not
sure what it was called in ancient Persia, but I know that was something
that I learned in Hebrew school when we learned the book of Esther.  We
also learned that it happened in later periods.  It is supposedly one of
the reasons why Jews combined the two parts of the Jewish wedding ceremony
into one.  Before the 13th century the Erusin (what we would refer to as
Prenuptual) and the Nesuin (actual marraige ceremony) were separate.  There
was usually a year or so between them.  They were combined sometime during
the 1200's partially to prevent the item of Droit de seigneur.  The tenaim
(betrothal contract) was also not announced until just before the actual
ceremony.

HL Sindara