[Sca-cooks] period traditions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Dec 10 23:18:41 PST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Sharon R. Saroff wrote:

> Actually Alban you are in error.  Droit de seigneur is mentioned in the
> Book of Esther-the story read on the Jewish Holiday of Purim.  I am not
> sure what it was called in ancient Persia, but I know that was something
> that I learned in Hebrew school when we learned the book of Esther.  We
> also learned that it happened in later periods.  It is supposedly one of
> the reasons why Jews combined the two parts of the Jewish wedding ceremony
> into one.  Before the 13th century the Erusin (what we would refer to as
> Prenuptual) and the Nesuin (actual marraige ceremony) were separate.  There
> was usually a year or so between them.  They were combined sometime during
> the 1200's partially to prevent the item of Droit de seigneur.  The tenaim
> (betrothal contract) was also not announced until just before the actual
> ceremony.
>
> HL Sindara

I must point out that Alban appears to have made the assumption that the
'Droit de Seigneur' referred to was the alleged custom of Western Europe
of allowing the local lord the first crack at a virgin bride, not to
anything having to do with Jeish ceremonial practice. He is right
in stating that most historians believe that actuall exercise of this was
very nearly a myth. I would venture a guess that if there was something
happeneing in the Jewish community that resembles it, that it has little
to do, for instance with the promulgation of the myth by Walter Scott,
amongst others.

As to the alleged custom, I have to say that it was expressly against
Canon Law, and would have involved the commission of a number of mortal
sins. While there is a money payment due the lord when a couple marries,
one that could be substantial if they were from different villages, it was
not a payment letting them off from the 'droit', but a payment made to
make up for the expected reduction in services. As to the occasional
alleged actual use of the privilege, I have to say that I have hundreds of
years worth of case law and accounts, and I honestly do not remember a
single mention of the practice.

'Lainie. writing for Father Abelard, Canon Lawyer