[Sca-cooks] vanilla beans

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 12 04:26:11 PST 2001

According to my notes, the first recorded appearance of vanilla in English
is in Indian Nectar (1662), where it is described as a flavoring agent for
chocolate.  A couple of sources place its arrival in Europe as 1527 with the
return of Hernando Cortez.  I have nothing suggesting vanilla was actually
used prior to 1600. If there is, it is most likely in Spanish sources.

Bear