[Sca-cooks] vanilla beans

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Dec 12 07:57:12 PST 2001

"Then, in 1602, Hugh Morgan, apothecary to
 Queen Elizabeth I, suggested that vanilla
 could be used as a flavoring all by itself,
 and the versatility of the exotic bean was finally uncovered."
http://www.nielsenmassey.com/historyofvanilla.htm
[note the source of the story]
This story is repeated in the Florilegium, but cites
another flavouring company.

Oddly, enough Andrew Dalby repeats "It was Hugh Morgan,
apothecary to Oueen Elizabeth I, who is said to have
suggested the use of vanilla as a flavouring for other foods."
Dangerous Tastes, p.148.

If the Hugh Morgan connection is true, then the uses seem
to have been medicinal. It may well occur in medicinal recipes
in the 17th century, but there don't seem to be other recorded
instances or recipes in the literature to support the claim.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway