Period Greek Foods was Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP GREEK SPICING

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Dec 12 16:27:51 PST 2001

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 12-Dec-101 Period Greek Foods
was Re: .. by Terri Spencer at yahoo.com
> While we're on this topic, it seems like a good time to ask about
> period Greek cooking.  I'm cooking a feast in June for an event with an
> ancient Greek theme.  I've already decided against an ancient Greek
> feast because it limits the ingredients, it would start with a
> sacrifice, and it's not western European middle ages anyway.  So I'm
> thinking of an SCA recreation of a medieval recreation of an ancient
> Greek feast - capture the Greek flavor using ingredients and cooking
> techniques of our time.

As far as "it would start with a sacrifice", only if you decide you want
to serve meat.  If you're going for fish, you can serve it in infinite
varieties with lots of different ways to fix it.

Beyond that, sorry, no suggestions.  There are many fine modern Greek
recipes on the web, though.

toodles, margaret