[Sca-cooks] RE: Marrow Bones

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 12 19:38:03 PST 2001

Marrow doesn't seem to make it into period recipes around my house.
It gets eaten hot quickly right out of the oven.  The price of marrow bones
however is IMO a bit pricey here in the south ($.79 / pound or more) as they are
so heavy for the small amount of marrow one gets in relation to bone.
Why would they be the price of good and more edible chicken?  Seems a
ripoff to me, but if I see some nice long ones without the heavy knob end, I
will treat myself.  I shudder to think of the bad fats and other dietary
no-nos I am stuffing myself with though.  Does anyone else on the list have
a taste for just plain marrow?   The clear fat left in the broiler pan
I also carefully save and use it in place of butter or lard.  I think it
adds a wonderful richness to many dishes.   Anyone else do this?
Finally, anyone know where I can get a double ended sterling marrow spoon for a
price that does not require closing costs?  The many I have seem on Ebay
tend to go for very high prices.

Akim

--- Diamond Randall

--- ringofkings at mindspring.com