[Sca-cooks] sausage casing

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Dec 13 07:11:27 PST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:
>
> > You also need to grease the funnel, preferably with a hard fat like
> > vegetable shortening or lard. If you don't, it can be darn near impossible
> > to get the casing onto the funnel, and it has a nasty habit of sticking
> > and tearing.
>
> Actually, I never had that problem with numerous times of making sausage
> of various types.
>
> Are we talking natural casings here? Maybe your experience and mine
> represents differences in casing size versus funnel size, tension, etc.
> I never had a problem with well-soaked casings, just threaded on wet.
>
> Adamantius

What we used were natural beef casings, well-soaked (at least
overnight) and rinsed thoroughly, and the Kitchen Aid plastic sausage
horns. When we didn't grease them, it was almost impossible to get the
casing on, and it stuck and tore when trying to fill them. It could be
those particular sausage horns causing the problem.

Margaret