[Sca-cooks] Kumiss

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 14 03:42:57 PST 2001

Christina Nevin wrote:

>>Kumiss (Fermented Mare's Milk) is wonderful.
>>It tastes like a fizzy milkshake with a dash of yeast and white wine
>>when young and tastes like a cross between Vodka and cottage cheese
>>when aged. Yumbo.
>>SickoDrakey.
>
> My flatmate Ozbeg used to make this in our airing cupboard every now and
> then. It did indeed taste something like that and to my mind was TOTALLY
> disgusting - he liked it though (but what can you expect from Mongols?). The
> airing cupboard had this ever-so-wonderful sour milk smell for days
> afterwards however.

Mmmmm!!! (Okay, I better throw one of those winky emoticons in here,
pronto ;-) )

Actually, Drake's description is very nearly the first description I've
ever heard from a SCAdian admitting to the possibility that the stuff
might not be utterly and universally revolting from the moment of
creation. My own experience was similar to what he describes, too, quite
tasty early in the game, although in its advanced stages the
vodka-and-cheese aspect showed its cheesy head. There's something not
quite right about a drink that tastes like a fine, aged Romano cheese.

On the other hand, so-called-sickoDrakey, if you wait for the white
precipitate to drop, you can then take the clear liquid and add a piece
of boiled venison knuckle, and let it re-ferment. Yez, Drakey, vee titch
yu tu drrreenk like a MAN!!!

Adamantius (sorry about the last bit, I'm quoting an old Polish man at a
wedding)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com