[Sca-cooks] Baking Apples

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 14 04:19:25 PST 2001

BareToad at aol.com wrote:

> How long do you bake apples before they are done and at what temperature?

It really varies according to apple variety, how many you're cooking,
and so on, but I wouldn't bake tham at much more than 350 degrees F.,
since, while caramelization is good, burning is terrible. I would allow
maybe 75 minutes. It might not take that long, but given the perversity
of the universe...

> also have about 20 lbs. in tri tips that I am going to cook in the oven and
> serve with green sauce...I have never cooked this much meat at one time
> before.  Any suggestions on cooking time/temperature/suggested load?

[Adamantius quickly does web search to find out just what the H*** a
tri-tip is, and ignores all the references to triathlons...]

Okay, from what I'm seeing, a tri-tip is a sub-cut of the sirloin, the
real sirloin, not the short loin section that is often _called_ sirloin,
nor the sirloin tip, which is, I think, really a trim off the round, but
a bit closer to what we're talking about then the
strip-commonly-known-as-sirloin. Sez they're tender, lean, and ranging
from 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. You definitely do not want to overcook these.

These will cook pretty quickly; 20 lbs is not a lot, especially in
smallish hunks. We're talking about _maybe_ twelve or thirteen smallish
roasts. Figuring on 15-18 minutes per pound for a rare-to-medium range
(and that's per pound per roast, not per pound, total), I think I'd be
careful not to crowd the pans: give 'em a couple of inches of space
between them, if possible (they brown better, too) at about 375 degrees
F., for perhaps half an hour. (Preheat your oven, of course.) Check with
a meat thermometer after that; you want to take them out at around 120
or 125 degrees F., then let them sit for about ten to fifteen minutes
before cutting into them, at which point they should be at 140 or so in
the middle (in other words, perfectly rare-to-medium), and just a little
more well done nearer the ends.

Adamantius, big fan of challenging the butcher

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com