[Sca-cooks] Flats and flatmates

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Fri Dec 14 16:15:48 PST 2001

> A "flatmate" is a non-relative/non-partner with whom you share a
> dwelling when you go flatting. The flat itself can be pretty much any
> sort of dwelling -- I've lived in large houses, small cottages, multi-unit
> buildings and half-houses which all count as flats. It's the fact that
> people are flatting in it that makes it a flat, not any features of design.

Interesting - I didn't know that distinction.  I've always merely
associated the word "flat" with a single-floor apartment or condo.  So,
does "flatting in it" mean renting any kind of domicile, or does it mean
sharing any kind of domicile (rented or owned) with a non-related
person?  Or a little of both?  What about an owned apartment that you
live in by yourself?  Doesn't that count as a flat?

Any American-isms you want explained in return?  ;)

-Magdalena