[Sca-cooks] Kumiss

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 14 20:17:11 PST 2001

>> So, what does adding the boiled venison knuckle do for (to?) the
>> kumiss? What is left in the concoction to still ferment?
>>
>The meat is slowly digested by the yeasts. Yeah, I know, thass
>impossible, as yeasts eat sugars only, but it still happens. Maybe some
>weak acids build up in the "wine", which might help.

As a milk based beverage, I would suspect there was a concentration of
lactic acid in the kumiss and there may be some interesting enzymes as well.

If there is a fermentation, it is probably being fed by a breakdown of the
fat in the meat, but I don't recall any chemical process which would produce
that effect.

Bear