[Sca-cooks] kumiss

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 11:54:15 PST 2001

I have actually drunk kumiss. And I'd consider making some. Slightly
fizzy fermented milk didn't seem horrible to me...

I had it when i wandered into the A&S Pavilion at an event this
summer - can't remember which one. Our Kingdom Brewers' Guild was
sponsoring a "period fermented beverage (not beer or wine)"
competition.

The maker of the kumiss did not have access to a lactating mare, and
he priced the powdered mare's milk substitute and said it was too
expensive for him, so he made it out of whole cow's milk. I'm certain
mare's milk would taste different, but just in what way i don't know.

The "buttermilk" in Morocco is NOT like American buttermilk - neither
the "churned" nor "cultured". I suspect it is actually churned, but
it is also somewhat fermented - has a sort of prickly feel on the
tongue. I liked it...

Anahita
who drank half a bottle of kefir that had been sitting in her car for
half a week with no ill effects...