[Sca-cooks] kumiss

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 15 23:08:08 PST 2001

Anahita commented:
> I have actually drunk kumiss. And I'd consider making some. Slightly
> fizzy fermented milk didn't seem horrible to me...

Try some of the recipes in this file in the BEVERAGES section of
the Florilegium:
kumiss-msg        (34K)  3/26/01    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kumiss-msg.html

> The maker of the kumiss did not have access to a lactating mare, and
> he priced the powdered mare's milk substitute and said it was too
> expensive for him, so he made it out of whole cow's milk. I'm certain
> mare's milk would taste different, but just in what way i don't know.

There are comments in the above file about the differances between
cow's and horse's milk. I think the horse's milk has more fat and
it is naturally homogenized.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net