[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1111 - 16 msgs

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 06:55:34 PST 2001

Duh! You are right! To me, "Cold water flat" is one word, as is, come to
think of it, "railroad flat". Both these phenomena exist in Lower
Manhattan, in the older buildings. By my time, of course, they all had hot
water... but we did still use the phrase for the tub in the kitchen
variety. Never heard the word "flat" used alone.

Oh, yes, the bathtub is in the kitchen, with a nifty wooden cover, so you
can use it as a counter when you are not bathing. I haven't seen one of
them since I was little, so I don't remember much about them...

And a railroad flat is one in which all the rooms are strung along like a
train, and you have to go through each in turn to reach the others. Not
much privacy.

And I grew up within walking distance of the Village, and always knew
people in these places...

Anne