[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1111 - 16 msgs

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 20:31:32 PST 2001

Only place I've ever seen it, in reference to NY, was, to go way back to an
earlier OT thread *G*,  in a book by Wodehouse. It is called Small
Bachelor, and is about the occupant of a Small Bachelor Flat on Washington
Square. I always just assumed Wodehouse hadn't picked up the Americanism
"apartment."

I grew up in Manhattan. I lived in an apartment, as did all my friends, as
did all my neighbors, as did all my classmates... They might be on the
Lower East Side (projects and tenemants) or the Upper East Side (Park
Avenue), but they were all apartments.

Anne