[Sca-cooks] flat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 15 07:29:50 PST 2001

Weems, Lora wrote:

> Remember the song, "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend"?
> '...
> A kiss on the hand
> may be quite continental
> but diamonds are a girls' best friend.
> A kiss may be grand,
> but it won't pay the rental
> on your humble flat
> or help you at
> the automat' (food content)
>
> But that was back in the '40's, as the last automat went out of
> business in the late 50's or early 60's.

Marilyn Monroe sang it in the 50's: the mousey-brown-haired Norma Jean
Baker appeared in some movies in the late 1940's; I'm not sure what kind
of life the song had before that. But actually, the Horn & Hardart
Automat (the big one on Third Avenue and 42nd Street, the one everybody
thinks of as "that Automat") lasted until the mid-eighties, I believe.

ADamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com