[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks list of late

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 17 06:03:57 PST 2001

Marian Rosenberg wrote:> *frown*>
> I come back from 6 weeks offline and 4 weeks before
 that of being too busy for the list, 18 messages in
 a digest and not a single one on period cooking.>
> Has the list changed so much while I was gone? -M
I think it has been the general holidays. There have
been a lot of discussions regarding various 12th Nights
and venison recipes. It's a community and the conversations
aren't always on track as with any to and fro.

Speaking of period cookery more or less, the new edition
of The French Cook by La Varenne is now available. It's
the text of the English 1653 work which was based on the
second edition of Le Cuisinier Francois. With an introduction
by Philip and Mary Hyman.  Southover Press, 2001.
My only complaint is that they abandoned the idea of a facsimile
and went with a reprint. The editor also revised the orthography,
spelling and punctuation.ISBN: 1-870962-17-6.
It's 33.00 dollars at http://store.yahoo.com/acanthus-books/new.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway