[Sca-cooks] Space Jelly?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 17 06:52:34 PST 2001

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> Now the real blast from the past- anyone else remember Quisp? I loved the
> stuff... (yeah, I know that explains alot...)

Actually, it does. Infinitely superior to its in-house rival, Quake,
which was made from identical ingredients by the identical company, just
in different stupid shapes (as I recall, "Q"'s instead of "flying
saucers" which actually looked more like bowls), and a different stupid
cartoon character to advertise the product. I liked the commercials that
  encouraged children to acts of violence (Quisp and Quake, a generic
"little green man" and an extremely clean miner on steroids,
respectively, would often, as I recall, commit illegal acts of carnage
against each other in the promotion of their namesake products) but then
that explains a lot about me, too. What with having been barred from The
Three Stooges and all... yes, it's true, I was traumatized as a child
and prevented from having a normal, healthy upbringing: I was not
allowed to watch the Stooges for a couple of years. I dunno, something
about calling a store clerk a knucklehead and poking her eyes and saying
"Nyuk nyuk!" It could have happened to anybody.

> Around the same time period, my mother would collect boxes- small ones-
> cereal, macaroni, etc, and paper towel tubes, and at Christmas she would
> build a 'castle' (looked like Sleeping Beauty's castle) out of them. It
> was painted white, and she had a collection of greeting cards and
> postcards that she'd cut things out of, such as trees (this castle had
> very nice landscaping) and there's was a gorgeous gothic door that she
> used every year- part cut from a card, part from a scrap of wood-grained
> contact paper, with a wreath she'd cut from some other card. It was
> spiffy, and I remember trying to 'open' it as a kid, trying to peek into
> the castle, rather like using the door in back of the wardrobe... If mom
> was feeling flush (not often) she would put a candy dish in the middle of
> the castle, and then spend the rest of the season yelling at us to get out
> of it...
>
> I also broke several snow-globes trying to get in... I must have had a
> fascination with other worlds pretty early...

Sounds like a bad case of "The Door Into Summer" syndrome, if I may make
so bold.

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy